The Slendertone Connect Ab is a belt that produces electrical stimuli in order to tone, strengthen and firm your abdomen muscles. Slendertone has been producing electrical muscle stimulation equipment for more than 40 years, so they had enough time to perfect the technology. In fact, Slendertone products, commercialized by BMR NeuroTech Inc (a medical equipment company based in Ireland), are among the few products of this type that have received approval from FDA (The Food and Drug Administration) for meeting all regulatory requirements.
What it does
According to the producers, the patented three pad placement design was optimized to recruit all abdominal muscles, including the obliques, rectus abdominis and the more inert transversus abdominis. Thus, the resulting muscle contraction resembles a lot the one that occurs during normal voluntary exercise. The device causes multiple cycles of stimulation and relaxation that provide training of an extensive region of the abdomen.
- The device works in tandem with the Slendertone Connect Ab app on your smart phone, a complex program that lets you discretely adjust the rhythm and intensity of the exercise, lets you choose different programs based on your goals (you can choose from 5 different programs and 100 intensity levels), displays toning reports, reminders, recommendations, etc.).
- It is especially useful in case you do not have the opportunity to exercise regularly, and even more so, when you are not able to exercise due to a medical condition (low back problems, injuries)
- The product is sold with a 60-day money back guarantee in case you change your mind.
- Setting the device to higher intensity levels may determine rather sharp and intense contractions that can make you crunch (you don’t want this to happen at work, during an important meeting).
- It might take you some time to learn to ignore the contractions and focus on your tasks
- The device supports only iOS and no Android.
First of all, most users report that the device feels very high-tech (the belt charges via USB, connects with the app via Bluetooth, notifies about the status via LED lights and beeps) and generally, works like a charm (a charge is enough form more than 10 sessions, there is an intensity level that will fit everyone). The belt stays tight without being uncomfortable, it can be easily used for prolonged periods.
Most users, after just a few weeks of training, start noticing a significant increase in the strength and firmness of their abdominal muscles.
All the ratings that we could see for this product on review sites and online shops exceed 4 stars (out of 5) and are usually above 4.5. This seems a pretty solid mark for a product which tends to generate very high expectations and is to be used by people with very different fitness levels and goals. The main competitor to the slendertone is the flexbelt which also has a lot of good reviews. See how we thought the flex belt compares to the slender tone in our review.
So, wonder whether this device will help you get a nice six pack after just a few days of use? Definitely not! However, according to the study cases mentioned by the producer, regular training over 8 weeks caused a 52% increase in abdominal muscle strength and a 72% increase in abdominal endurance, which is apparently also confirmed by the regular users through their testimonials and ratings.
Also note that, to get the most benefit out of this product, it is a very good idea to combine electromyostimulation with exercise, since this combo produces much better outcomes.